Monday, August 11, 2014

Brighton, England’s, 5 Best Fish & Chips Shops

Whenever I'm in London, I always reserve a day for Brighton. It's the popular beach resort just 50 miles south of the English capital right on the seaside. The city is an easy train ride from London via the Southern Railway.

One of the main reasons I enjoy Brighton is its many fish and chips shops. Nothing is more enjoyable than strolling along a Brighton beach munching on newspaper-wrapped battered fish and chips (French fries in the U.S.). Here are my favorites, with price ranges between $5 and $10 (3 to 6 English pounds) for takeaway.

Bardsley's (22-23 Baker St.)

Considered by many (including me) as the best fish and chips in Brighton, and I always make Bardsley's my first stop for lunch before going to the beach. In addition to a takeaway menu, Bardsley's offers a varied in-house menu of fresh dishes. Choices include cod, haddock, fishcakes, burgers, chicken, and vegetarian dishes.

The Regency
(131 King's Road)

Right on the oceanfront, The Regency provides inside and outside dining, as well as takeaway menu. Owned by Italian brothers, in addition to traditional British fish and chips, the menu offers oysters, calamari, moules mariniere, and plaice.

Bankers (116a Western Road)

Bankers has a varied menu that combines traditional Brighton dishes with Continental specialties. Some of the more popular takeaway specials include cod, cod roe, haddock, skate, scampi, calamari, and gefilte fish balls. Bankers is a newer spot opened in 2001 and is very concerned with natural fish selections and sustainability. In addition to great food, I always get an education about the current state of fish and fishing in Britain.

The Daily Catch (102 St. James St.)

Because it's a 10-minute walk to the beach, the prices are lower than in the more popular tourist places nearer the oceanfront. Living up to its name, the shop claims it features traditional fresh-caught English Channel and Atlantic Ocean seafood.

Riddle and Finns (12b Meeting House Lane)

I listed Riddle and Finns, an upscale seafood cafe, because on several Brighton evenings when I wanted to dine like royalty, I ate at R&F. Of course, if you order caviar dishes or lobster and champagne, you can expect to pay much more than you would at typical fish and chip shops. The takeouts aren't wrapped in newspaper, but in neat plastic containers. They taste delicious as a midnight snack in the hotel room.

You can follow travel writer Ted Sherman on Twitter @travel4seniors and check out his blog travel4seniors.com.

More From This Contributor:

What Is an International Driving Permit?
A Dream Trip to Capri in Italy
Macau Travel Guide